The successes, trials and tribulations of converting a scrapped aircraft cockpit into a simulator in my garage

Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Plan is Hatched

G-BVOB at Bristol on 23rd July 2003.
Many thanks to Ernie Horler for letting me use this dusk photo

It's been a long-time goal of mine to build a realistic and complete cockpit simulator. For a couple of years I've been assembling a Boeing 737NG setup in the spare-room, but in August 2009 a chance conversation led to the offer of the front-end of G-BVOB, a Fokker F27-500 freighter which was about to be broken up at Southend.

With more madness than rational thinking I said "yes please" and that's the start of this process to turn a scrapped aircraft cockpit into a simulator in my garage.

By mid-October I had the approval of "the boss", a basic plan for transport, initial clean-up and mounting the cockpit on a frame and dimensions and layout in the garage. So here goes, there's no turning back now .......

0 comments:

Post a Comment